Loading

The Marsh the Rich Guys Tried to Own

Diana Hunt Club Members at the Rock River Bend

Before it was a national wildlife refuge with a visitor center and a gift shop, Horicon Marsh was 32,000 acres of the best duck hunting in the Midwest — and for about forty years, a handful of very rich men did everything short of putting up a castle wall to keep it to themselves.

Horicon wasn’t unusual in this. By 1892, Wisconsin counted something like thirty-five hunting clubs across the state, evidence of a swing already underway — from the free-for-all commercial market hunting of the mid-1800s toward organized clubs that looked, at least on paper, more like conservation than the wholesale slaughter that had come before. Horicon just did it on a bigger, richer scale than most.

It started innocently enough. In 1883, a local sportsmen’s club tallied the marsh’s output — something like 500,000 ducks a year, plus 30,000 muskrat and mink pelts — and word got out the way it always does. By the turn of the century, five hunting clubs had planted flags on the place: the Kaw Kaw Club, the Fond du Lac Shooting Club, the Horicon Shooting Club (aka Strook’s Club), the Greenhead Hunting Club, and — the main character of this story — the Diana Shooting Club.

Above, the Horicon Hunting Club, aka, The Strooks Club, so nicknamed because it was on Ferdinand Strook’s Farm and he, and his wife and family helped guide, feed cook, and clean.


The oldest and most storied of the five was the Kaw-Kaw Shooting Club — sometimes spelled Caw-Caw — founded all the way back in 1866 on a small island in the marsh’s northwest corner, near what’s now Misling Island Road. Ten Milwaukee men bought the island, evicted (shot and killed) the black-crowned night herons nesting in its trees (their harsh “qua-qua” call gave the island, and the club, its name), cleared the brush, and put up a clubhouse — guided to the spot, club lore has it, by Harry Clark, son of the marsh’s first settler Satterlee Clark, and by a map a friend had “sketched on a blank leaf resting on a bale of buffalo robes.” Their first season on the marsh they shot something like 3,000 ducks and geese, plus sandhill cranes, snipe, golden plover, quail, and ruffed grouse — a haul that says everything about how thick with game Horicon still was. The club’s run at Horicon didn’t last, though: when the Horicon dam came out in 1868, water levels dropped too low for easy travel to the clubhouse, and members were losing their taste for puddle ducks in favor of diving ducks anyway. Sometime between 1869 and 1872 they pulled up stakes for the deeper water of Lake Puckaway in Marquette County, where the club kept hunting for nearly seventy more years, until 1940.

Not all five clubs held the marsh the same way. From 1883 to 1920, two of them — Diana and the Horicon Shooting Club — held actual leases on Horicon Marsh itself, carved out of land owned by the Mechanics Union Manufacturing Company. Diana leased 4,000 acres on the marsh’s south end; the Horicon Shooting Club took 9,000 acres on the north end, its roster drawn mostly from hunters around eastern Wisconsin. Both clubs signed on in 1883 at the going rate of $100 a year, locked in for 25 years, and both used the leases to shut everyone else out — no hunting on the leased water, no setting foot in the clubhouses, no exceptions, without a member’s permission. The rest of the marsh stayed open to the market hunters who’d been working it for decades. Locals who’d hunted Horicon freely for generations were, understandably, furious about the part that wasn’t.

Diana was not messing around. Founded in 1883 on the Miescke farm on the marsh’s west side, it drew its membership from the moneyed set of Milwaukee, Chicago, and Madison — including Willard Van Brunt, of the farm-equipment fortune that later became part of John Deere. The club leased several thousand acres, put private wardens out on patrol, and arranged for its own railroad stop at Swan Road, so members could roll in by private train and step directly from the parlor car into a duck blind. It was, by any measure, hunting as a lifestyle brand.

Diana Shooting Club

Down the shore and considerably less fancy sat the Greenhead Hunting Club, founded in 1902, then incorporated on July 29, 1903, by locals who paddled downstream from the Rock River to hunt the marsh, and who — radically, for the era — assumed the water belonged to everybody. This clubhouse sat on land originally owned by Albert and Blonda Nietschke, who then sold it to Louis Ziegler for $100. Then later transferred to the club. (Note: Greenhead Club has grown; in 2023 the Club acquired another 100 acres in the town of Clyman off of WI 60 near the 26 bypass, from Junction Road Farms LLC. )

Green Head Club ca. 1908
Senator Paul Husting

That assumption got tested in the fall of 1913, when Greenhead officer and attorney Paul Husting paddled his canoe straight into water Diana considered private. Diana’s wardens arrested him for trespassing, which turned out to be a mistake, because Husting was exactly the wrong guy to try that on. He took it to court, and the case — Diana Shooting Club v. Husting — climbed all the way to the Wisconsin Supreme Court. In 1915, the justices ruled against Diana in resounding terms: Wisconsin’s navigable waters were public, full stop, “free to all for commerce, for travel, for recreation, and also for hunting, and fishing.” It remains a foundational public-trust water rights case in the state today.

The ruling gutted the whole premise of an exclusive marsh, and the Diana Shooting Club closed up shop that same year. Husting rode the win into the U.S. Senate in 1914, the first Wisconsinite ever elected to the seat by popular vote, and kept fighting for public access to the state’s waters from Washington.


Then, two years after securing the public’s right to hunt those waters, the sport turned on him. On Sunday, October 21, 1917, Paul and his brother Gustav were duck hunting on Rush Lake in western Fond du Lac County. Around 4:30 in the afternoon, a flock of eight mallards dropped into their decoys. Paul stood to take his shot; Gustav swung his gun at the same instant and hit his brother by accident. Paul was carried to the nearest house on the lake, the Blackburns’, where he was tended until doctors could reach him. Family rushed to his side — brothers Gustav, Berthold, and Bonduel among them, though his sister Bella and brothers Otto, Max, and Leo couldn’t get there in time. At 10:45 that night, Paul Husting died of his wounds. His last words were, “Tell them I did the best I knew.”

Three thousand people came to his funeral in Mayville. President Woodrow Wilson wrote to the family: “Your son’s death has come to me as a great personal grief. He was one of the most conscientious public servants I have ever known… I grieve with you with all my heart.” The man who’d just spent the courts’ patience proving that a duck marsh belonged to everyone was killed doing the very thing he’d fought for the right to do — undone by one shot, on a lake very much like the one he’d made public.


It didn’t much matter to the marsh’s fate anyway — decades of unregulated market hunting had already crashed the duck population, and a failed 1910–14 scheme to drain the marsh for farmland left the land looking, to most eyes, worthless. A 1933 wildfire piled on more damage before conservationists finally turned things around: the Wisconsin Legislature passed the Horicon Marsh Wildlife Refuge Bill in 1927, and by the 1940s the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service was buying up the northern marsh outright. Today it’s split between the 21,400-acre Horicon National Wildlife Refuge and a state wildlife area run by the Wisconsin DNR — public land, exactly as the courts and Husting said it should be.


Green Head Club 2026

And the old clubs? Gone, all but one. The Greenhead Hunting Club — the scrappy, public-minded outfit that started this whole legal mess — outlasted the drainage attempts, the Depression, drought, and Prohibition, and is still hunting the marsh today. Sometimes the little guy actually wins.


Addendum

Horicon Marsh Shooting Clubs — Membership Rosters

Five private hunting clubs controlled the best duck-hunting water on Horicon Marsh between 1883 and 1915: the Kaw-Kaw Club, the Greenhead Club, the Fond du Lac Shooting Club, the Horicon Shooting Club (aka Strook’s Club), and the Diana Shooting Club. Rosters below are reconstructed from surviving club records, Fond du Lac and Dodge County court records, newspaper notices, and period photographs — where no documentation has yet surfaced, the field is marked N.R. (Needs Research) rather than guessed at.

Reconstructed by © Carl G. Reinemann, for © One Shot at History Officers listed by rank; membership as documented
Officer Club Leadership Member General Membership Guide Local Guide / Hired Hand Guest Named Visitor, Not Confirmed Member Honorary Honorary Member N.R. Needs Research
Diana Shooting Club 1883 – 1915

Leased roughly 5,000 acres of the marsh’s southern portion. Members were drawn chiefly from Milwaukee, Chicago, and Madison, arriving by the club’s own railway stop at Swan Road. Closed following the 1915 Wisconsin Supreme Court ruling in Diana Shooting Club v. Husting.

NameLocationRole
W. A. Van Brunt Horicon OfficerPresident
A. K. Delaney Mayville OfficerVice President
S. E. Davis Horicon OfficerTreasurer
C. A. Hart Horicon OfficerSecretary
H. Boehmer Mayville Member
S. Clement Milwaukee Member
W. Clement Milwaukee Member
C. E. Cole Chicago Member
F. T. Day Milwaukee Member
C. Fernekes Milwaukee Member
A. H. Gardner Milwaukee Member
H. Gardner Milwaukee Member
C. C. Germain Chicago Member
J. B. Hays Horicon Member
E. A. Kretschmer Horicon Member
B. Leidersdorf Milwaukee Member
G. H. Lawrence Burnett Member
H. Mieske Burnett Member
G. B. Miner Milwaukee Member
L. J. Petit Milwaukee Member
J. O. Pierson Chicago Member
G. Preuser Milwaukee Member
P. F. Stone Chicago Member
T. C. Schove Manitowoc Member
Dr. N. Rowe Chicago Honorary
Horicon Shooting Club (aka Strook’s Club) Chartered 1883 — see note on later reorganization

Originally chartered in 1883 to promote “the cultivation and practice of… sharp-shooting” alongside “gallantry, social temperance and morality,” with an early lease of roughly 9,000 acres including an 80-acre waterfowl refuge at “Weber’s Pond.” A separate, undated newspaper feature describes what reads as a later reorganization: 13,000 acres owned by the Horicon Improvement Co., leased for twenty-five years, membership capped at one hundred fully-subscribed shares (the fee risen from $10 to $25, and expected in time to reach $100), and a clubhouse built on what period sources call “Strook’s Island.” Guests could be invited by any member — visitors from outside Fond du Lac and Dodge counties paid 50¢ a day, those living in the two counties $1 a day, apparently to cap the number of local shooters. Locally, the club was also known simply as “Strook’s Club,” after that island clubhouse and its cook and guide — confirmed the same organization, not a separate sixth club (see the Strook’s Club section below). See the flags below on how the two founding accounts, and the club’s manager, relate to one another.

Founding date & acreage — a probable answer. A newspaper item headed “Drainage for Horicon Marsh” reports that the “Horicon Hunting club,” organized “some thirty years ago” (i.e. c. 1881, close to the 1883 charter date above) by Milwaukee, Mayville, and Fond du Lac hunters, was forced to disband after Ferdinand Strook sold the hunting reserve to the Rock River Land and Improvement Co. for $7,500, with the land slated for drainage into farmland. A sale and disbandment on that timeline would fall right around 1911–12 — which lines up neatly with the “Duck Hunting” article’s description of the club as “organized a year or so ago” under a fresh 13,000-acre, twenty-five-year lease. The likeliest reading: the original c. 1881–83 club dissolved when Strook sold its grounds, and a reorganized club leased fresh acreage soon after — possibly from a different company (this 1911 item names “Rock River Land and Improvement Co.” Offered as the most plausible reconciliation found so far, not a documented certainty. Period sources and court records also call this club the “Horicon Hunting Club” as often as the “Horicon Shooting Club” — treated here as the same organization under a variable period name.

The original club’s last known officers, reported in 1911 just ahead of the sale and disbandment described above:

NameLocationRole
Theodore Thomas Milwaukee OfficerPresident; Board of Directors
Ed. Kramer Fond du Lac OfficerVice President; Board of Directors
Carl H. Bruegger Fond du Lac OfficerSecretary & Treasurer; Board of Directors
Henry Miller OfficerBoard of Directors
W. G. Menzel OfficerBoard of Directors
R. Langenbach OfficerBoard of Directors

Source: “Drainage for Horicon Marsh,” period newspaper, 1911 (exact publication not yet identified). Note this slate shares no names with either officer table below, consistent with it belonging to the club’s earlier, pre-1911 incarnation.

Lillie (Strook) Laing, Ferdinand’s daughter, grew up on the farm beside the clubhouse and gave the fullest surviving account of daily life there in that same 1978 interview. The earliest members arrived on horseback — the first to reach the barn stabled their horses there, the rest tied up outside — until cars took over and a garage went up in the barn’s place. There was no electricity: candles lit the bedrooms and kerosene lamps the hall, and some of the bunk beds needed a ladder to reach. Lillie put club membership at about sixty. At night the men played cards and drew names for the next morning’s hunting grounds, then rose at four; when they came back off the marsh they sat around cleaning their guns. “They shot a lot of ducks,” she recalled, “which was mostly what was there in those days — not many geese as there are now.”

Her mother and aunt cooked the members’ meals and cleaned the clubhouse. Her grandparents, William Sr. and Augusta Strook, were the family homestead’s original owners; her grandfather did plowing work for Native American families still living near the marsh, whose children her father remembered playing with as a boy, and whom her grandmother and mother supplied with eggs and milk.

NameLocationRole
T. S. Weeks Fond du Lac OfficerPresident; Board of Directors
S. B. Amory Fond du Lac OfficerVice President; Board of Directors
C. S. Matteson OfficerSecretary; Board of Directors
W. S. Russell Oakfield OfficerTreasurer & Founding Organizer; Board of Directors
C. M. Ray Strook’s Island OfficerManager; Board of Directors — see note below
C. K. Pier OfficerSolicitor; Board of Directors
Ferdinand Strook Strook’s Island GuideCook & Guide — see note below
Carl Brugger Fond du Lac Member
Sam Longdin Fond du Lac Member
F. A. Nolen Fond du Lac (police chief) Member
Tom Watson Fond du Lac (postmaster) Member
Dr. L. D. Cyr Negaunee, Mich. Member — “iron country”
H. D. Fisher Florence, Wis. Member — “iron country”
A. W. Myer Ishpeming, Mich. Member — “iron country”
Murry & Mather Marquette, Mich. Member — “iron country”
J. D. Smith & James Loughrey Marinette, Wis. Member — “iron country”
S. W. Watkins Champion, Mich. Member — “iron country”
Bill Collien Kekoskee Guide
Art Collien Kekoskee Guide
Wetmore Marquette, Mich. Guest
Stone Watertown Guest
Hunt Fond du Lac Guest
Who really ran the clubhouse? The “Duck Hunting” newspaper feature credits day-to-day operations to a paid staff distinct from Strook: “Clarence Ray, of Chester, the present accommodating manager of the club… Mr. Strook, the cook and guide, has done considerable work of a praiseworthy nature.” Its officer list likewise names “C. M. Ray, manager, Strook’s Island, Wis.” This conflicts with a 1974 Wisconsin Academy Review photograph caption identifying Ferdinand Strook himself as “club manager.” Strook may have held that title at a different point in the club’s history, or the 1974 caption may have conflated his long, visible presence on the island with the formal manager’s role. A further wrinkle: the 1911 item on the sale of the reserve (see the founding-date flag above) shows Ferdinand Strook owning the hunting grounds outright at that point, not merely staffing them — so “manager,” “cook and guide,” and “landowner” may all be true of him at different moments in the club’s history. Presented here as an open conflict, not resolved.
A family account, 1978. A Leader News profile of Ferdinand’s daughter, Lillie (Strook) Laing — then 83 and still living on Route 2, Waupun — adds another layer to the puzzle. Lillie recalled that when she was a girl, the clubhouse next to her family’s farm was run by her uncle, John Strook, as manager, while her mother and aunt cleaned the clubhouse and cooked the members’ meals; a photograph reproduced with the same feature separately credits a still earlier manager, William Clifford, with running the club in its “early days.” Whether John Strook, William Clifford, Clarence Ray, and Ferdinand Strook represent a genuine succession of managers across the club’s history, or family members who were remembered — and who remembered themselves — in overlapping roles, is left open here. The family’s own account at least confirms that more than one Strook, and more than one manager, passed through the clubhouse on Strook’s Island.

Officers rotated from year to year. A separate, undated newspaper notice records a different elected slate:

NameLocationRole
G. J. Clarke OfficerPresident
B. Buchholz OfficerVice President
Dr. J. W. Burnell OfficerTreasurer
Robt. Eutler OfficerSecretary
C. S. Matteson Fond du Lac OfficerSolicitor
W. S. Russell Oakfield OfficerManager

Source: “The newly elected officers of the Horicon Shooting Club are…” — Fond du Lac Reporter, as reprinted in a Waupun-area paper alongside the Waupun Sportsmen’s Club correspondence below. This notice states “the officers also compose the directory,” i.e. no separate board in this account.

A trespass dispute of its own: the Waupun Sportsmen’s Club

The Horicon Shooting Club wasn’t the only outfit that ran into a fight over who owned the marsh. A published letter from J. E. Brinkerhoff, secretary of the Waupun Sportsmen’s Club — by his account, an organization of nearly fifteen years’ standing that had hunted Horicon Marsh’s west side undisturbed for most of that time — lays out their side of a trespass dispute with the Horicon club. About three years before the letter, Horicon Shooting Club representatives told the Waupun club they had leased the marsh’s entire upper end and offered Waupun members a $10–$15 membership plus annual dues to join, the money going toward an $800 clubhouse, roads, boats, and marsh policing on the east side. Holding that Horicon Marsh’s waters were open to any shooter, the Waupun club instead offered, as a ten-member club, $50 for shooting privilege and a pro-rata share of rental and policing — but no share of the Horicon club’s own clubhouse costs, since Waupun had already sunk over $1,500 into its own camp, ditches, and boats on the marsh’s west side.

The Horicon club’s secretary, C. S. Matteson, wrote back with a narrower counter-offer: ten non-voting “certificates” good for the term of the lease, for $50 plus a share of rental and the cost of “keeping a man on duty” — terms Brinkerhoff’s letter describes as having to “go in and swallow a whole pill if at all.” The dispute reached a trespass case at Juneau, which the Waupun club avoided losing, by Brinkerhoff’s telling, more through the Horicon club’s attorney neglecting to post proper bonds than through any court ruling on the underlying right to hunt the marsh. It reads as a smaller, more local echo of the fight the Diana Shooting Club would lose so decisively to Paul Husting a few years later — the same argument over the same marsh, playing out at a different scale, with a different and murkier ending.

Sources: “Drainage for Horicon Marsh,” period newspaper, 1911 (exact publication not yet identified); “Duck Hunting — Sketch of the Organization of the Horicon Shooting Club,” a Mining News correspondent’s account (period newspaper, exact date not yet pinned down); photograph caption, “Managing the Marsh: A History of Two Horicon Marsh Shooting Clubs,” Robert G. Personius, Wisconsin Academy Review, Winter 1974/75; newspaper election notice, Fond du Lac Reporter; “Our Side of the Question,” a letter from J. E. Brinkerhoff, Secretary of the Waupun Sportsmen’s Club, reprinted from the Commonwealth (exact date not yet pinned down); and “Horicon Marsh Recalls Memories of Past to Lillie Laing,” by June Kelly, The Leader News (Waupun-area), June 21, 1978.

Fond du Lac Shooting Club 1880s–1890s

Officers per a period newspaper notice announcing club elections. Full membership roll, vice president, and founding date not yet documented.

NameLocationRole
J. T. Green OfficerPresident
Vice President N.R.
H. C. Moore OfficerSecretary
T. S. Weeks OfficerTreasurer
General Membership N.R.
One officer, two clubs. This club’s treasurer, T. S. Weeks, appears to be the same T. S. Weeks later named president of the Horicon Shooting Club — both records place him at Fond du Lac. Overlapping leadership across the marsh’s clubs shows up more than once in these records; the pool of well-off Fond du Lac sportsmen was evidently a small one.
Kaw-Kaw Club Milwaukee’s “Caw-Caw” Club, est. 1864

A Milwaukee sportsmen’s club chartered in 1864 — among the oldest hunting clubs found in this research. Its clubhouse stood at Marquette, in Green Lake County, on the Fox River, a once-boomtown built by the Fox and Wisconsin River Improvement Co. that was left “dilapidated” after losing the county-seat fight to Markesan. The club owned or leased grounds running three and a half miles along the river and bay, kept thirty to forty small boats, and hunted canvasbacks chiefly on Puckaway Lake (six miles long, a mile and a half wide). Membership cost $50 a year plus $1.50 a day for a clubhouse room.

Same club as Horicon Marsh’s “Kaw-Kaw Club”? Different Spelling. Volkert (1999) lists a “Kaw-Kaw Club” among the five private clubs operating on Horicon Marsh. The only club by that name located so far is this Milwaukee based “Caw-Caw” club — but it did have clubhouses and hunting grounds at Horicon, Marquette, Green Lake County, on the Fox River and Puckaway Lake.
NameLocationRole
A. J. Aikens Milwaukee OfficerPresident; Board of Directors
John P. McGregor Milwaukee OfficerVice President; Board of Directors
Chauncey Simonds Milwaukee OfficerSecretary & Treasurer; Board of Directors
J. C. Spencer Milwaukee OfficerBoard of Directors
J. B. Oliver Milwaukee OfficerBoard of Directors
E. H. Abbot Milwaukee Member
H. F. Bosworth Milwaukee Member
E. H. Brodhead Milwaukee Member
J. A. Ellis Milwaukee Member
Ed. E. Flint Milwaukee Member
Fred Layton Milwaukee Member
E. P. Allis, Jr. Milwaukee Member
W. W. Allis Milwaukee Member
J. L. Ranney Milwaukee Member
H. H. Shufeldt Milwaukee Member
A. Ross Houston Milwaukee Member
James Sawyer Milwaukee Member

One or two additional names at the bottom of the source clipping are damaged and only partly legible (reading approximately “Angus…h” and “zoolo… T. Birchard”); they are omitted here rather than guessed at.

NameLocationRole
C. H. Moses Guest
Ludington Patton Guest
Dr. H. V. Wuerdemann Guest
J. K. Ilsley Guest
Grant Fitch Guest
F. L. Pierce Guest
Gustave G. Pabst Milwaukee Guest
Charles Henning Guest
Louis Auer Guest
Frank J. Williams Guest
Dr. Ladd Guest
John Dutcher Guest
L. J. Petit Milwaukee Guest
R. G. Richter Guest
Robert Rom Guest

A season report placed these individuals “on the hunting grounds of the Caw-Caw club, or [having] been there this fall” — alongside several already-listed members (Aikens, Simonds, Spencer, Bosworth, and A. Ross Houston, all confirmed present that season). Because the report doesn’t distinguish members from invited guests, these additional names are tagged Guest here rather than folded into the confirmed membership above. One, L. J. Petit, also appears as a member of the Diana Shooting Club — another instance of overlapping membership among the marsh’s clubs.

The Greenhead Club Founded c. 1902–03 — still active

Listed among the original private clubs on Horicon Marsh (Volkert, 1999), founded by locals who hunted the marsh’s public waters via the Rock River. It is the only one of these clubs still active today.

1913 officers: Paul Husting and C. W. (Courtney Wayland) Lamoreux. Per site research, Paul Husting — the Greenhead officer and attorney whose 1913 trespass arrest by the Diana Shooting Club became Diana Shooting Club v. Husting — and C. W. (Courtney Wayland) Lamoreux served as officers of the Greenhead Club in 1913. Lamoreux appears to be a Husting in-law by marriage: Paul’s sister Bella Husting married into the Lamoreux family. No surviving club document naming their specific offices (president, secretary, etc.) has been located yet, so their titles are left unspecified rather than guessed at.
NameLocationRole
Paul Husting Mayville Officer1913 — title N.R.
C. W. (Courtney Wayland) Lamoreux Officer1913 — title N.R.

A separate, later document lists the club’s full membership as of 1970:

NameAddressRole
Ted Bachhuber R.R. 2, Mayville, Wis. Member
William Bruder 18 N. Henninger St., Mayville, Wis. Member
Dr. George Dedolph, Jr. — (address not given) Member
Hilary Elsinger 374 Furnace St., Mayville, Wis. Member
Conrad Faust 54 N. German St., Mayville, Wis. Member
George Feucht 414 N. Walnut St., Mayville, Wis. Member
Richard Garling 206 N. Ludington, Columbus, Wis. Member
Louis Garms 311 Wisconsin Ave., North Fond du Lac, Wis. Member
Norman Kohli 5405 Erie St., Racine, Wis. Member
Alphonse Liscow 18 S. Clark St., Mayville, Wis. Member
Emil Malesevich 356 N. John St., Mayville, Wis. Member
Dr. Stephen Mann 1013 N. 17th St., Manitowoc, Wis. Member
Walter Muche, Jr. 428 N. Mary St., Mayville, Wis. Member
Earl Polzan 925 Horicon St., Mayville, Wis. Member
Gerald H. Polzan 115 Roosevelt Dr., Beaver Dam, Wis. Member
Harold Polzan 609 N. German St., Mayville, Wis. Member
Mrs. Hugo Prinz 100 S. John St., Mayville, Wis. Member
Rudolph Rackow 337 Grand Blvd., Mayville, Wis. Member
Wilbur Rediske 306 S. John St., Mayville, Wis. Member
Robert Ruedebusch 164 E. Washington St., Burlington, Wis. Member
Norman Spiering 138 N. German St., Mayville, Wis. Member
Vernon Spiering 19 N. School St., Mayville, Wis. Member
Max Strasser 222 S. Heninger St., Mayville, Wis. Member
Hal Strayer 239 N. Walnut St., Mayville, Wis. Member
Gene Wurtz 310 Grand Blvd., Mayville, Wis. Member
Herbert Ziegler 1104 N. Marshall, Milwaukee, Wis. Member

Source: “1970 Greenhead Hunting Club Members,” a typed club roster stamped “COPY.” Two entries (Earl and Gerald H. Polzan) carry a handwritten correction mark over the surname suggesting “Polzen” may be the intended spelling; the typed form is used here since it’s what’s legible across all three Polzan/Polzen entries. Street addresses in this list run to the right edge of the source photograph and are completed here only where the abbreviation is unambiguous (e.g. “Wis.”).

Strook’s Club Same organization as the Horicon Shooting Club
Resolved: not a separate club. Volkert (1999) lists “Strook’s Club” as one of six distinct clubs on Horicon Marsh, which is why it keeps its own heading here. The evidence, however, points to it being a period nickname for the Horicon Shooting Club — taken from “Strook’s Island,” the site of that club’s house, and from Ferdinand Strook, the cook and guide who worked there. There is no independent officer list or membership roster for a stand-alone “Strook’s Club,” because there was no independent club. See the Horicon Shooting Club section above for its full roster, founding history, and the still-open question of Strook’s own role there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *